Subject: Re: ScreamerNet II operational options
From: [email-masked]
To: John Gross <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 95 15:13:12 PDT

cc'd to the LIST for community improvement:

John G.,
	Thank you for your very substantive explanations about the inner 
workings of ScreamerNet II.  To continue our discussion:

On Thu, 19 Oct 1995, John Gross <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 	A) Is there a separate config file for SN.....wait, that wouldn't make
>> 	any sense...
>
>Yes. If LWSN is run from a directory other than where Layout is launched 
>from. Chances are you are having a problem because you have two machines 
>running ScreamerNet and they are not referencing the same content dir. 
>You'll have this problem if both machines are using the D:\ drive (for 
>instance) as their content dir. The scene is set up on one machine, but 
>the other machine can't see the objects on it's D: drive. One way around 
>this is to have a separate SN directory with it's own config file on each 
>machine that points to the proper drive (In one case it would be a shared 
>drive - Call it F:, and the other would be D:) Perhaps a better way is to 
>have one machine use a D: drive and the other use an F: drive as its 
>main. This way, you could mapa drive named F: to one machine (which is 
>the other's F: drive) this way if you save images to F: it will go to the 
>proper machine no matter which one is saving.. Also, you could have one 
>LW.cfg file for Screamernet which just points to F:.  I hope this makes 
>sense...

	ummmmmm, yeah, I >think< I follow you.

	Ironically, my remote machine has no trouble finding the content 
directory, but I think that is an artifact of having worked on that network 
drive from that machine, i.e. it's content directory is already set (via 
Layout?) to the appropriate network drive, in this case G:.